Monday 2 October 2017

I Steel Love U!


I must admit. 

It took us a long time to accept that we were different - he had a sweet tooth and I didn't. 

Like how most couples begin, we were just so nice, so lovely, so sweet to each other. We would do anything and ate everything we could to please the other person. 

Most of our dates ended on a sweet note, literally. Sometimes it was a moist red velvet or carrot cake. Other times, it was tiramisu, oreos or New York cheese cake. To top it all, these were almost always "lethally combined" with either a hot chocolate, some ice-blend or thick milkshake.

I thought that was love. Saying 'yes' to his every suggestion as a sign of us "going the same way". 

Slowly but surely, I was piling on the pounds. But still, I couldn't say, no. And it wasn't until I started looking ridiculous in my usual outfits - I was bursting at the seams - that raised a red flag for me.

Again, I couldn't bring myself to tell him the truth so I came up with excuse after excuse why I couldn't have those cakes. After a while, he got the idea. 

Where am I going with this?

It's okay to be different. You don't have to like the same things to stay in a relationship. You just have to be united. And in the famous words of Pope Francis, "Unity doesn't mean uniformity."

I was reminded of this season in my life only because out of the kindness of his heart, my husband has been offering me his sweet steel cut oats porridge in the mornings. By now of course, he knows that I prefer savoury to sweet stuff so for a balance of tastes, I came up with a savoury version of the steel cut oats porridge. 

The following recipe is for you if you don't have a sweet tooth, like me!

Serves 1

Ingredients:-

1/4 C pre-soaked steel cut oats
1 C distilled water or chicken/fish broth
1 large red onion
2 cloves of garlic
1 large egg (optional)
1 medium carrot, diced
Vegetable salt and pepper to taste


Method:-

On low heat, stir fry the garlic and onion in a generous amount of olive oil till fragrant
Add diced carrots
Add the distilled water/broth, bring it to a boil
Add pre-soaked steel cut oats 
Let it simmer for 10 minutes
Turn off the flame and while stirring the porridge, add the egg
Add vegetable salt and pepper to taste


Try and see if you like it! But if you don't, that's okay too!

I'll steel love Ü!

Love,
Lynette Tan

1 comment:

  1. Gonna revisit steel cut oat! Thanks for your reminder on clean, healthy eating!! ^^ I’ve tried both sweet and savory version! How does your hub whip up his sweet steel cut oat porridge? Pray share! ^^

    ReplyDelete

BETTER THAN BOTOX FACE SERUM| BEST ANTI AGING SERUM FOR SENSITIVE SKIN

Want tighter, lighter, brighter skin? That’s firm and dewy at the same time? We’re talking about medical grade skin care that’s better than ...