Thursday 21 September 2017

Woman of Steel


I first came across the term "steel cut oats" in the book Smart Fat by Steven Masley and Johnny Bowden and that really got me wondering about oats in general.

To my mind, there was only Quaker Oats - the instant one and the not-so-instant one. Mostly flat.

It didn't occur to me that oats were grains, whole grains in fact that come to us dehusked, steamed and rolled and toasted. I can only imagine that after all that processing, most of its healthful, natural goodness would have been literally "rolled away"! And that disturbed me very much indeed.

According to Dr Rex Russell, author of What the Bible Says about Healthy Living. One of the principles he espouses is to eat foods "as is" - in their original forms. And that's exactly how I have been making my food choices.

So in that regard, steel cut oats is a clear winner!

See, all manner of oats are first lightly roasted at very low temperatures to preserve and extend their shelf life. But for steel cut oats, that's it! No further processing is required or done except to chop them into pieces.



The other reason why I'm raving about steel cut oats is because if you're still struggling with cutting out carbs from your diet, it's a way more nutritious alternative to white rice! Not only is it high in fiber, so you feel full for longer, but it also has a lower glycemic load so it helps keep your blood sugar level consistent. No sudden peaks nor crashes so no candy bar effect! 

While it closely resembles broken rice, it has a slightly nuttier flavour with a firm chewy consistency - great for making both sweet and savoury porridge/congee, if you ask me.

In my next post, I'll share a couple of recipes that I've experimented with so far but in the meantime, you might wanna keep an eye out for steel cut oats usually housed under the organic section of your regular supermarket.

Till then, have an awesome weekend!

Love,
Lynette Tan

No comments:

Post a Comment

BETTER THAN BOTOX FACE SERUM| BEST ANTI AGING SERUM FOR SENSITIVE SKIN

Want tighter, lighter, brighter skin? That’s firm and dewy at the same time? We’re talking about medical grade skin care that’s better than ...