Tuesday 17 January 2017

Food Combo & Weight Loss

Along with the struggle to maintain my ideal weight, I've always had trouble with digestion.

Even as a kid, I'd be enjoying my food one minute, chomping it down heartily, and then I'll be retching and crying my lungs out the next. It was just awful! And this went on for years!


It wasn't until I read about proper food combination in Anthony Robbins's first book Unlimited Power when I was a teenager, that I got out of this vicious cycle.


Without getting too technical, just remember that carbohydrates and proteins require different enzymes to digest. So eating them together may cause...?


Indigestion!


And that's how most people at work fall into a food coma right after a heavy lunch, because they mixed proteins with carbs!


So in order to aid digestion, foods from these two food groups ought to be eaten separately. Got it?


After knowing a little more about proper food combinations, I'd eat my steak + salad/steamed veg and then wait religiously for precisely three and a half hours later (approximate time taken for each condensed food type - carbs or protein - to be digested) to eat my baked potato + salad/steamed veg. That worked well for a start.


But after a while, not only did I find this way of eating highly restrictive, it was also very inconvenient. Plus, I noticed that the weight loss resulting from this method of eating was only effective up to a certain point. Beyond that, I'd reach a plateau. *GRRRR*


What I found even more effective and convenient was to cut out carbs altogether!


In my previous post, we've already established that carbs are converted to sugar in our bodies. And that they bring little or no benefits but add heaps to our weight and waist, cause "inflam-aging" and feed cancer cells. Given the obvious disadvantages, why not just cut out carbs?


Now, before you conclude that I have gone completely mad, I challenge you to cut out carbs completely from your dinner (no carbs after 6pm daily) for 30 days and see if your weight comes down. If you follow this diligently, trust me, it will come down!


But what CAN we eat then? Well, simple! You can still enjoy tasty foods like:-


eggs + salad
chicken + salad
pork + salad OR pork knuckles/ribs + salad
beef + salad
lamb + salad
fish/lobster/prawns + salad


(If you love curries, go ahead and eat it to your heart's content + salad, just NO rice/bread/potato/pasta/prata and its various permutations and you'll do just fine! Winks!)

Masala Jumbo Prawns with fresh salad. [Photo Credit: Jedidiah Tan]

Notice they're all with fresh, raw salads and not cooked vegetables, because most vegetables turn to starch when cooked and you'll end up eating what you're trying to avoid in the first place. Besides, vegetables are live foods, so it's best to eat them as is, with all of their life-giving enzymes and nutrients still intact! Exposing them to heat above 47 degrees celsius would thoroughly destroy all their natural goodness.

Lemon Garlic Butter Lobster with salad, Rosemary & Thyme White Snapper with salad.

But what if I get hungry easily you say? And how can I make the switch just like that? Carbs has always been a big part of my life! How do I explain to family and friends, especially at family dinners and get-togethers?

Fret not! Answers are on their way...

Love,
Lynette Tan

Follow me on:-

No comments:

Post a Comment

BETTER THAN BOTOX FACE SERUM| BEST ANTI AGING SERUM FOR SENSITIVE SKIN

Want tighter, lighter, brighter skin? That’s firm and dewy at the same time? We’re talking about medical grade skin care that’s better than ...